Today’ review is long overdue – about Jen Sincero’s first book of the “You are a Badass” series.
- Title – You Are a Badass
- SubTitle – How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
- Author – Jen Sincero
A refreshingly honest self-help book that claims to help people who desperately want to improve their lives but do not want to kill themselves doing it! The book has 27 short chapters with anecdotes, easy exercises, and (occasionally swear words) aimed to help you correct your self-sabotaging beliefs and start on the journey to create a life you love!
REVIEW SCORE = 4.0/5
Thoughts on the Book:
Honestly, when I read the blurb, I felt the premise was a bit misleading. Success is never easy – you can leverage some skills/ platforms/ contacts to reduce the work. However, hard work and hustle is still needed! Felt some readers might be unintentionally deceived into thinking life will be a piece of cake!
That said, the book does offer tons of solid advice! I personally have read too many self-help books, so part 1 was boring to me (Yawn!) However, part 3 and 4 were amazing – unbelievably useful!
Thoughts listed in this book that totally resonate with me:
- Vision boards
- Try it out! Do not wait for the stars to align.
- Practice gratitude.
- Don’t treat money as evil.
- Own your Ugly! [Sounds weird, but if you reflect upon it, it is quite pithy!]
- Your faith in the Universe must be stronger than your fear of failure.
Like Tim Ferris book “Tools of the Titans” or “Tribe of Mentors” you will want to savor this book. Do not feel compelled to read the book cover to cover. Instead here are some snippets and chapters you MUST read:
- Decide you would rather be happy than right! (pg125)
- You will not even remember this in the future. (pg127)
- When we say we are unqualified; it usually means we are too scared to try it! (pg 151)
- Procrastination is the most popular form of self-sabotage. (pg152)
- Love yourself. Repeated ad nauseum throughout the book, but we all need to hear this!
Another parting thought – some sections in this book sound similar to Rhonda Bryne’s book “The Law of Attraction”, but this one is a lot more practical.
- Books – “Girl, Wash your Face” by Rachel Hollis, Iris Apfel, Tools of the Titans by Tim Ferris.
- Movies – Joy. Legally Blonde.
- Genres – Self-Help, Personal Success, Business, Motivational, Personal Transformation.
Until next time, Adieu & Happy Reading!