Title – How to Market a Book
Author – Joanna Penn
REVIEW SCORE – 4.5/5
This is the BEST book for all first time authors, to learn all the different methods to market your book and earn sales. The book covers important concepts on how to build an author platform, market books online and offline, as well as monetization techniques using merchanside and books in multiple formats.
I do have to specify that the book is slightly older, so some of the topics on Amazon policies and online paid ads have changed, competition for ebooks has increased dramatically. Nevertheless this is a fantastic guide for debut authors, especially because the author is a bestselling author with both fiction and non-fiction books. So the topics and core principles of the book are relevant and true till today. Hence this is a truly evergreen book.
New authors reading this book will find useful information, irrespective of your writign genre, or even if you write under a pseudonym. If you already have some books published, then this book has techniques to spike up your sales.
Other practical ideas presented in the book include:
- How to get more reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, Google, etc.
- Which paid ad platforms return the highest ROI
- Ad stacking, which the author used to hit the prestigious New York Times bestseller list. Hitting the list is much harder now, but the method is definitely useful to jack up sales and author ranking, which is the final goal.
- Concept of “30-60-90” day content cliffs.
- How to quickly and easily build your email lists.
- Top 10 mistakes made by newbie authors.
- how to use traditional media (TV, newspapers and radio) and conventional methods of Public relations to increase brand awareness for your books.
Overall, highly recommend to all authors who are yet to see five figure annual sales numbers!