Welcome to Day 01 of #BookReviewBlogChallenge. Today’s prompt is “Dreams & Ambitions”.
Before I begin, thank you to everyone who participated already and commented on the welcome post. So many amazing books, they all made me smile and added a sparkle to my day! Special shout-outs to:
- Isabella for the stunning book cover for Sarah Maas book, and
- Camilla for choosing the cheerful Matilda by Quentin Blake
For today’s challenge, I am going with a memoir that really should be made into a movie! 🙂 This book is a perfect muse for the “Dreams & Ambitions” theme, as I would love to be as bold and vivacious as Iris and look back at life (at 60+) with the same joy and wonder, and minimal regrets!
- Title – Iris Apfel accidental icon
- SubTitle – Musings of a Geriatric Starlet
- Author – Iris Apfel
This book is an autobiography and memoir of the vivacious and brilliant Iris Apfel. The author is an American businesswoman, interior designer, and 98-year old fashion icon! The book is filled with many interesting thoughts and stunning photographs of a life well-lived.
REVIEW SCORE = 5/5 *****
Thoughts on this Book:
For those who have never heard of this amazing personality, let me start by saying that the author’s list of accomplishments is more numerous than her birthday candles next year! Some highlights from her life, which most impressed me, are as follows:
- Pioneer reporter
- Interior designer and decorator for the White House, for 9 different US Presidents! Whoa!
- She has her own line of cosmetics with the global brand M.A.C, and she modeled it too! Probably the oldest model to ever do so!
- Fashion icon – with 1.4M followers on Instagram!
- Her designs are displayed at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art (MOMA), one of the most prestigious temples for anyone in the art and creative industry.
- She even has a Barbie doll designed after her!
The book itself has infectious joie de vivre and pearls of wisdom you would hear from a loving and extremely “cool” grandmother. Naysayers will point out that she was fortunate to be born into a rich, business family. I will remind them that in the 1940s, US had limited rights for women, so it is still inspiring to see the trailblazing paths the author has tread!
The best takeaways I divined from the book is that Iris Apfel was never scared of failing or looking stupid (something we all suffer from!). Instead of choosing the safe mundane path, she chose to create her own amazing life and leverage all the opportunities life offered to her!
I loved the entire book, but my favorite chapters are:
- Love and Marriage
- Your Smartphone is not Your Brain
- How to Live to be 200
If you like fashion or want an espresso shot of creativity, then read the book! If you like vivid colors or just want to start your day, read this book! If you want to try something new, then read this book!
Just try it once, you will love it for sure!
- Books – “Girl, Wash Your Face” by Rachel Hollis. “Why Not Me” by Mindy Kaling.
- TV Series – Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. The heroine in this series is as vibrant as the author.
- Genres – Memoir, Motivation, fashion design.